There are 6 ways negligent drivers can most commonly cause a car crash in Miami. If you’ve been injured in a car crash in Miami because of a negligent driver, your car accident lawyer in Miami-Dade County will be able to identify the type of negligent driving for you to receive compensation for your injuries and damages.
6 Common Types of Negligent Drivers
Negligent drivers can be defined as those who engage in certain types of behavior behind the wheel.
These behaviors include:
- Talking on the phone – a driver on the road talking on his/her cell phone is an increasing cause of car crashes in Miami. Cell phones have become more than just a tool to make and receive calls. Texting, listening to music, and surfing the Internet on a cellular device have also become reasons or negligent driving.
- Putting on makeup – more women think they become more time efficient by putting their makeup on in the car. Unfortunately, this is considered negligent driving and has caused an increasingly number of car crashes in Miami.
- Reading – multi-tasking has become a dangerous habit. Studies have shown negligent drivers read newspapers, books, maps, or documents for work, while driving.
- Taking their eyes off the road – things that distract negligent drivers outside of their vehicle are about twice as likely at risk for causing a car crash in Miami. External distractions may include road construction, wild animals, traffic accidents or violations, billboards/signs, etc.
- Driving while drowsy – a driver who is tired at the wheel is a dangerous, negligent driver. If a driver is tired, his/her vision blurs and they lose focus.
- Talking to passengers or eating – the number 1 common type of negligent drivers are those who are distracted by something inside of their car. This can include talking to other passengers, eating food, changing the radio, digging inside a purse, etc.
All 6 of these types of negligent drivers are the leading cause of a car crash in Miami. If you’ve been injured in a car crash in Miami because of a negligent driver, contact a car accident lawyer in Miami-Dade County for legal help.
Your car accident lawyer in Miami-Dade County has the necessary skills to investigate and retrieve information that shows evidence of negligent driving in your car crash in Miami so you can seek compensation for your injuries and damages.
Driver’s Negligence: Speeding and Aggressive Driving
Speeding and aggressive driving are other common types of driver’s negligence that could lead to a Miami car crash. While speeding and aggressive driving alone can do damage, when they are a factor in the previously mentioned 6 common types of driver negligence, they could cause a potentially minor Miami car crash to turn fatal.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2009, there were 535 fatal car accidents due to speeding in Florida. Of greater concern, in 2009, Miami-Dade County ranked first for the most fatal car crashes in Florida.
Negligence Law and Car Crashes
All 50 states follow a negligence law that determines not only who was at fault for your car crash, but also the percentage of fault between the parties. Under the negligence law, your Miami-Dade County car accident lawyer will determine where the fault lies, and how much your particular case is worth.
Florida follows a pure comparative negligence system. Under this system, each party will be assigned a percentage of fault and damages will be awarded accordingly. For example if you were found to be 20% at fault and the award was $20,000, your award would be reduced by 20% to $16,000.
After a Miami car crash, it’s often difficult to prove a driver’s negligence was due to distraction. Your Miami-Dade County car accident lawyer is highly skilled and trained to research information that will show proof of the other driver’s negligence. You may be entitled to compensation for current and future medical expenses, lost wages, and altered quality of life.
Contacting a Miami-Dade County Car Accident Lawyer
A serious Miami car accident leaves you with life-altering injuries; you’ll want to seek help from a lawyer with experience in cases like yours. The Florida Injury Lawyers at Falk & Falk know what to look for when investigating your case and can fight for your rights when negotiating with the insurance companies. Before you accept any settlement offers, contact the Florida Injury Lawyers at Falk & Falk for a free case consultation – (305) 279-0999.