Tips on How to Handle Your Slip and Fall Accident & Reasons Why You Should Hire a Lawyer
Every property owner has a duty of making their place safe to individuals who have a right to be within the premises. If you have sustained injuries or damages because of a slip and fall accident, you can seek compensation for your losses and injuries from the owner of the property. Across the United States, there are many slip and fall cases each day but sadly, many victims of these accidents do not report them since they do not know they have a right to pursue compensation from the property owner for failing to maintain a safe environment in their premises.
Common Injuries Sustained in Slip and Fall Accidents
Some of the most common injuries reported in slip and fall accidents include:
• Broken limbs
• Back injury
• Spinal injuries
Top Things to Do Immediately After Your Slip and Fall Accident
To get awarded compensation after filing a slip and fall case, you have to prove negligence on the part of the party you are suing. This simply means that you have to show that your accident could have been avoided were it not for the actions or inactions of the individual you are suing. You can enhance your chances of getting compensation for your injuries by taking the following steps immediately after your accident.
- If you can still move, document the scene of the accident by taking photos and videos
- Ensure that you notify the property owner or the person in charge of the premises that you have been injured immediately. If you wait for too long, the individual you are suing may claim that you sustained your injuries elsewhere
- Take down the contacts of any individuals who were in the vicinity at the time of your accident. These individuals will act as your witnesses should you decide to lodge a compensation claim for your slip and fall accident
- Get a check-up from a medic and ensure that they thoroughly document the extent and severity of all your injuries. Additionally, you should ask your doctor to keep a comprehensive record of all your treatment expenses
- Call a reputable slip and fall lawyer immediately
Reasons to Engage a Slip and Fall Attorney
Proving liability in slip and fall cases can be a daunting task especially if you do not have any legal experience. An attorney who specializes in these cases will however understand the aspects that are required to prove liability on the part of the individual that you are suing. The aspects required to prove negligence include:
• Duty of care – You have to show that the person you are suing had a duty to make their premises safe
• Breach of Duty of Care – You have to show that the individual you are suing breached their duty of care
• Causation – This means showing that your slip and fall accident occurred as a result of the breach of duty by the person you are suing
• Damages – You have to show that you sustained losses as a result of your accident
An attorney will also negotiate with the individual you are suing with a view of ensuring that you get fair compensation for all the damages and injuries that you sustained. Should the party you are suing fail to come to the negotiation table, your lawyer will represent you in court and prove to a jury that you deserve the compensation that you are seeking. Generally, your lawyer will ensure that you are not exploited or offered less compensation than you actually deserve.
Your lawyer will also take charge of the process of collecting evidence, cataloging the evidence, speaking to witnesses will collaborate with your version of events as well as preparing a strong slip and fall compensation claim on your behalf. Your lawyer will also ensure that your case is filed with the appropriate court before the statute of limitations expires. Remember that if the statute of limitations expires, you cannot pursue compensation from the party you hold responsible for your slip and fall accident.
Ideally, if you are seeking to hire a great slip-and-fall lawyer, you should check to see that they meet the qualifications listed below.
• They should specialize in slip and fall accidents
• They should be expert negotiators as well as seasoned negotiators
• They should have a strong record of winning huge settlements for past clients